How to Get Rid of Psoriasis in minor case (less than 20% rash): starting with topical treatment to avoid the negative impact from oral medication. In case the rash is over 20% of infected skin, topical treatment may perform less convenient than oral medication and phototherapy (radiation).
• How to Treat Psoriasis by Steroids; Steroids is highly effective treatment option with easy-to-use, quick responsive, inexpensive and non-irritation for short-term treatments. On the other hand, shrink and crack skin, dilated blood vessel and drug resistant action with return symptoms could be expected in long-term application. Thus, application under doctor prescription is advised.
• Coal tar; less used but performed almost similar benefit to Steroids, except the smell and dirtiness appearance when applied. Avoid application on face, foldable joint and sexual organs because of its irritation effects.
• Antralin; widely used in many countries in EU and USA for immediate effectiveness and less recurrence of Psoriasis when stop application. The only limitation is its side effects from irritation and darkened treated skin and complicated application. Apply on face, foldable joint and sexual organs are non-advisable.
• How to Get Rid of Psoriasis by Vitamin D3 (Calcipotriol); this new medication is widely used in western countries for its similar efficacy to Steroids with no side effects and no color and smell compare to coal tar and Antralin. However, Vitamin D 3 could cause some irritation on face, foldable joints and sexual organs. Thus, avoiding application on those areas are advisable. The expensiveness is also its limitation.
Oral Medication and Phototherapy (Radiation)
• How to Treat Psoriasis by Ultraviolet Light B (UVB); this method performs 80% effectiveness for moderate and severe Psoriasis with less redness and itching side effects. However, its limitation is to take this treatment 2-4 times per week for 2-3 months continuously.
• The combination of Ultraviolet A and Psoralen (PUVA); the oral or topical administration of psoralen with exposure to ultraviolet A (UVA) light. A therapy for severe psoriasis using PUVA is 85% highly resulted in benefit. The treatment generally takes 20-30 times, twice a week, for 2-3 months with short- term, non-severe nausea, itching and redness or burning treated skin. Critical long-term side effect includes skin cancer.
• Vitamin A Acid (Erythrodemic); Erythrodemic demonstrated moderate effectiveness when single application and highly effective with exposure to ultraviolet light. It suppresses the amount of application and radiation. Therefore, less exposes to side effects. Dry and flaking of skin are critical side effects found in most cases. In addition, high cholesterol and hepatitis could also be expected. The termination of treatment in early stages could bring back normal stage. Blood checking in every 1-2 months is advisable.
• How to Get Rid of Psoriasis by Methotrexate (MTX); Psoriasis resistant to topical treatment and phototherapy may be treated with MTX which is effective and affordable. However, due to their side effects, patients undergo MTX treatment must have regular 3-4 month blood test before and after the treatment. Cirrhosis and hepatitis are critical side effects.
• Cyclosporin; effectively used for severe psoriasis. The majority of people experience a recurrence of psoriasis after systemic treatment is discontinued and severe side effects. High cholesterol, kidney damage and hepatitis are critical side effects. It is advisable to have blood function test every month.
Alternative therapy; treatment at specific psoriasis areas
• Head rash; potion Steroid is best used with less side effects. Apply twice daily and covered with shower cap for no more than one week period to prevent side effect actions. Anti-dandruff shampoo and coal tar application can also prevent the recurrence of psoriasis.
• How to Get Rid of Psoriasis with Face rash condition; Facial skin is sensitive and exposed to irritation easily. Antralin and Vitamin D3 are not advisable. Mild Steroid is suggested in this case. Avoid using strong Steroid for a long term application to prevent side effects.
• Nail psoriasis; incurable location with no severe symptoms unless the physical appearance annoyance. 4-6 times of Steroid injection at nose-nail every 3-4 weeks is the best treatment but the patients may suffer from the pain from injection.